Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Anna & R.J's Wedding: Waters Edge Bayville, NJ

R.J. & Anna (not pictured: Hermine) photo by BeauRidge Photography
I grew up on the Jersey Shore with my five siblings. Don't judge us, we aren't like what you see on the old show of the same name. Truthfully, I'm not even much of a beach person (though the ocean at night has quite a hypnotic and calming effect on me). When my sister and her (now) husband decided to get married at the Waters Edge in Bayville I knew their visions for an incredible day with the Bay as the backdrop were filed away in their highest hopes. They love the shore, their new bay side home and the beach life we grew up on. They had their hearts set on saying "I DO" in the salty air with seagulls squawking overhead and the bay lapping around the docks.

But it is September and we are in Hurricane season. The forecast wasn't looking good anymore and it appeared that tropical storm Hermine was stirring up trouble just in time to make an issue for my sister's wedding.  The day before we went to the venue for the rehearsal and watched as my sister tried to keep it together as the contingency plan to move the ceremony indoors the next day was commencing. After all, one thing you can't control is the weather...they both knew that when they picked the place but the plans proposed for the indoor ceremony were not what my sister, Anna had in mind and she was beginning to break under the weight of disappointment. The owner spoke of the possibility of flooded out roads, damaging winds and all kinds of doom and gloom predictions that are sure to stress out a couple on the eve of their wedding day.

During this time, the staff at Waters Edge didn't seem accommodating and I (and our combined families) were less than impressed  with their reluctance to give my sister what she wanted...which was quite simple by the way.  She wanted an aisle with chairs for guests on either side, she wanted to be able to enter into the room with her father as her husband-to-be saw her for the first time. She did NOT want to stand in the middle of the dance floor while everyone sat at their assigned tables for the dinner reception. After some negotiations and compromises by the couple's amazing team of family/friend supporters, we came to a solution that worked for Anna & R.J.

All night as I laid next to my sister on her last night as an unmarried woman with my son (and her Godson) laying between us on the enormous bed, I tossed and turned and checked the weather for the second time in 15 minutes. Nothing changed... 3 red warnings blared on, confirming the weather on their wedding day was sure to be dismal. I was worried and heartsick for them. First world problems, I know, but nonetheless they plagued me.

I woke up in the morning to my sister tearing the curtains open revealing an incredibly bright sunny day. No wind. No rain. Zero indication that anything resembling Hermine was any where in the vicinity. We left the hotel suite to go to Waters Edge for hair and makeup and the owner told us as we were walking in that chairs were ordered and their outdoor ceremony would be happening as long as no unforeseen weather issues took place.  The staff was much better and worked their butts off to make things beautiful. They definitely redeemed themselves from our disappointment the day before.

Jonas and the sweet flower girl
Everything turned out perfectly. The ceremony on the water was enchanting. My son was the cutest Ring Bearer and did his duty in sweet earnest taking the flower girl by the hand and speaking kind words to her as he walked her down the aisle. My sister was such a beautiful bride...seeing her for the first time literally had the impact of taking your breath away. Her groom cried and it was contagious.

The reception was the best. There was a photo booth, an incredible DJ and a very large dance floor. Needless to say, things got out of hand in the best way.  Even our 90 year old grandfather had 9 Bloody Marys and told tall tales at the bar. It was great.



Me and the lovely bride

Me, my handsome Jeremiah, and our crazy kid


My silly family and friends
Now that the wedding is over, I can hang up my Matron-of-Honor hat and revel in a job well done. I got through all the planning, prep, and social interactions without being too awkward. I even managed to nail my M.o.H. speech without thinking about the onlooking guests (which had the potential to turn my bowels into water). Definitely a win! Definitely the most amazing wedding EVER! I wish my sister and her new husband a truly "Happily Ever O'Hara".


No comments:

Post a Comment