Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Winds of Winter: A compilation of released chapters

I'm quite behind on my reviews, characters and theory analysis of  A Song of Ice and Fire (and my reviews for Neil Gaiman's Sandman for that matter) but as my blog is young and I'm also a busy parent, wife, and multi-tasker extraordinaire, I will forgive myself and hope any random readers do too (Wink).

For all the groaners who complain about how long it takes Mr. Martin to write a book let me break down a couple of published statistics and considerations.
  • According to Amazon's Text Stats, an average novel is approximately 64,000 words long
  • George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is (without Winds of Winter is approximately 1,770,000 words long. 
  • Game of Thrones, the first book of the epic series, was published in 1996. 
  • According to the average length of a novel, A Song of Ice and Fire  (so far) is the equivalent to approximately 28 books.
I think the equivalent of 28 books in 20 years is pretty acceptable. It is the kind of series that takes time. It's many characters and plots are intricately positioned and even seemingly unimportant dialogue is sometimes a part of a wheel within a wheel.

That isn't to say I don't share the anticipation of Winds of Winter with fellow fans of the series. The fifth book, A Dance with Dragons, was released in 2011 and I'm just as eager for the next installment as anyone. In an effort to ease the pain of the wait, I thought I would include a consolation from an amazing discovery I found on AngryGOTFan.com. With gratitude to the time it took to gather this together, I'm pleased to share almost 200 pages of The Winds of Winter compiled into one PDF. At approximately 45,000 words and 11 chapters, it is already a short novel worth of story. The rest of the book will come out when it comes out.

In the words of Neil Gaiman, "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch."  Enjoy and happy waiting!


No comments:

Post a Comment