Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Stranger Things: The consolation show that filled the hole Game of Thrones left behind

After a season of Game of Thrones ends, I get into a funk. Having to wait a year for it to return is my First World definition of torture. Sure, I find solace in the fact that George R.R. Martin HAS to be close to finishing Winds of Winter and that there are still plenty of Thrones related theories to lose myself in (after all, you are nothing in GOT unless you might be a secret Targaryen) but the truth is I am just as eager for new content as the next obsessive ASOIAF SuperFan!

So in easing the pain that the end of Season 6 Game of Thrones left behind, I decided to catch up with some other shows I love, Penny Dreadful, Shameless, & Outlander...Then one night, Jeremiah put on Stranger Things, and it blew my mind in the best way.  It is a Netflix original series so if ever there was a reason to take advantage of a free trial, this show is that reason. Seriously, sign up now! Stranger Things is nearly perfect. I give it a 10/10 (to measure the rarity of this high praise one should know I gave Game of Thrones S6 an 8/10)

The show is an 8 chapter miniseries created by the Duffer Brothers. It takes place in 1983 in a small, quiet  town in Indiana which is turned upside down by the disappearance of  a young boy, Will Byers. The story follows Will's family, his closest friends, a telekinetic girl, and a police chief, who despite contrary evidence, refuse to give up their search to find Will alive. The story unfolds in an addictive way giving a lot of information in small doses and providing half answers to a much bigger plot. The conclusion of the series provides resolve without solving every mystery. As a result, it is perfectly poised for a second season (confirmed).

In the typical vein of addiction, my husband and I binged watched all 8 Chapters. I had no self control and nor did I try. 3 days it took us to complete the series and it would've taken less than that if other obligations didn't get in the way (you know, like parenting). We even managed to watch an episode during our camping trip at High Point State Park (thank goodness for good cellular service).  Jer and I crept into our tent huddled close under the tiny screen and split a the ear buds between us (which freed our other ear up to contemplate worse case scenarios for every noise in the woods that night).

A mildly spoilery list of what I love about this show (not comprehensive):

1. The incredible casting of Winona Ryder as Will Byers mother, Joyce...I have been waiting for her comeback for a LONG time and as I anticipated, she didn't disappoint.

2. The childhood nostalgia! It took place in 1983. Granted I was only 4 years old in 1983 but this was MY generation! Stranger Things was overflowing with Easter eggs...HeMan, The Clash, movie posters for The Thing and Evil Dead (oh, the memories of my cousin's Fangoria magazines), the synthesized organ music that set the tone for so many great horror movies of the 80s (I still shudder when I hear the Halloween score), Dungeons and Dragons (reminded me of the Boys I liked best growing up), and so much more.

3. The Underneath-who doesn't like the terrifying possibility of another dimension? Will seems so close yet so far as his mother communicates with him through the electricity in her house in a vibe similar to Poltergeist and one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, Little Girl Lost.

4. The child actors are second to none. Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown), Mike (Finn Wolfhard), Lucas (Calab McLaughlin), and (my favorite) Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo), are brilliant in their roles. I don't subscribe to awards per se, but these actors should all be nominated for Emmy's.

5. Mr. Clarke (Randall P. Havens), the science teacher of Mike, Will, Lucas, and Dustin. His role is small but dynamic and I love how the kids call him on a Saturday night to ask him questions about things like sensory deprivation and other dimensions. I love how Mr. Clarke gently reproaches the Boys while giving them the answers they are looking for.

6. Police Chief Jim Hopper (David Harbour) is a pill popping police chief with a history. This is normally a cliche but in Stranger Things, it's a perfectly executed art form.

7. The story arcs built around the different approaches to finding Will. These include the efforts of:  1.Will's best friends (with the help of the telekinetic Eleven and a Dungeons and Dragons play guide)  2. Chief Hopper and Joyce Byers, and 3.Will's brother, Jonathan Byers and Mike's sister, Nancy Wheeler (her friend disappeared as well).

8. The show provides satisfaction without leaving you completely satiated and resolve that doesn't give you   exactly what you want or expect.

Brilliant writing, amazing acting, and phenomenal direction are the beating heart of Stranger Things. If you like a supernatural mystery with a conspiracy twist, this is it. Do yourself a favor, believe the hype this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment