Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Things I dislike that almost everyone else loves

There is no particular order to this list, just spewing them off as I think of them.

1. The Simpsons-I'm not a fan of most adult-oriented animated series (Bob's Burger being the exception). My brother used to watch the show so occasionally I would watch as a form of distraction. I won't say there weren't some episodes that tickled me over the years but usually I found myself bored and irritated by the story and characters as a whole.

2. The Beatles-I get a TON of crap when I say this. I will explain, it's not exactly that I don't like the Beatles...I mean when one of their songs comes on, I usually know all the words and sing along. My opinion about their music is centered around whether I feel the NEED to hear a Beatles song and if I never heard one again would I miss their music? For me the answer is tentatively, no.

3. Jessica Jones-I wanted to love this Netflix series based on Marvel's Jessica Jones since I had loved Netflix's adaptation of Marvel's Daredevil. Unfortunately, despite everyone's recommendation, Jessica Jones just didn't do it for me. Jessica's character and that of the lawyer, Hogarth, was more like watching  roles written for men but to break conventions, were played by woman.  The portrayal of  women in (many times unflattering) male stereotypes was too gratuitous and cliche for me in this case. After 4 episodes I still wasn't vested in the story line or (most of) the characters and gave up on it.

4. Daredevil: Season 2-okay, I SORT OF disliked this season. I enjoyed Karen and Froggy. I enjoyed Karen and Frank Castle (Punisher). I could barely tolerate Elektra and Daredevil. They had their moments but all in all, Daredevil Season 1 was much better.

5. Books written by Nicholas Sparks-I don't feel I owe an explanation for this one. I read three books when a friend enthusiastically recommended and loaned me her copies. She was convinced that I would love them. My only regret is I didn't stop after the first one and wasted precious time that I can never get back reading the other two.

6. Eddard (Ned) Stark from Game of Thrones-he is an antiquated patriarch whose iron honor got him his head chopped off. I will write more about this in another post, but for now I will just say, if readers thought Ned was going to make it through Game of Thrones after following him around as he dug his own grave, then perhaps they weren't reading close enough.

7. Old things, specifically statues and busts. I don't even eat in front of them. I guess its more of a weird phobia than anything but as my husband will tell you, I am not a good date at a museum. We went to the Louvre as part of our honeymoon visit to Paris and I was just impossible. Don't even ask me how I fared at the thought of touring the exhibit of Roman busts...lets just say I am fine not knowing what Commodus and Caligula might have looked like in bust form. It makes me shudder just talking about it.

8. Shrek-I  lost a coin toss with a friend that decided between Shrek and a movie I wanted to see. I may have had a chip on my shoulder when going into it but I don't recall ever enjoying a movie less than Shrek. I still can't believe I paid to see it.

9. True Blood-I liked the first few seasons but after Sookie and the fairy story line, I completely lost interest. I tried reading the books too and got to the fourth book before giving up on them.

10. The Beach-I grew up a bike ride away from my nearest beach. I shouldn't say I dislike it entirely, I love the beach at night when the sand is cool, the distractions of people are gone and I can really enjoy the sounds of the sea without static radios and clusters of conversations. I'm just not one of those people who finds spending a day at the beach, lugging a bunch of stuff, setting up a chair in the hot sand, and soaking up the sun all day, a relaxing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment