Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Musikfest 2017 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania: 13 Years of Festing and Counting

I went to Musikfest in Bethlehem, Pa for the first time in 2005. My husband Jeremiah and his family had been going for many years and he invited me to go with him which was a big deal for me since this meant I was going to be meeting his family and friends for the first time. We had only been together a few months and my nerves were a bit on edge as I fumbled to put together a gift basket to thank his parent's for hosting me in their home for the entire weekend.  I had no idea what to expect but 13 Musikfest's later, here I am...still sharing the experience with our now combined families and friends...still sharing it with Jeremiah...and for the past 9 Musikfests, sharing it with our son, Jonas too.

So what is Musikfest? It is a free outdoor festival with tons of music (over 500 shows on 14 stages over 10 days), giveaways, street performers (pterodactyls on stilts, anyone?) and fun tents where you can buy one-of-a-kind wares or try the latest video games or virtual reality. While you can do 90% of everything Musikfest for free, save up some money and your appetite because the food selection is very unique, diverse, and delicious.


The Musikfest grounds are extensive and there is a North Side and a South Side with shuttles available to take you from one end to the other. While both sides have fun and music to offer, my family and I are die hard South Siders. Fun fact: Stages are called “platzes,” an homage to the city’s Germanic heritage (platz being German for “place”)


Musikfest 2017  was as fun as it was exhausting! We went 7 out of the 10 days of the festival and hosted various guests (mostly my family) throughout the week. I put together some photos that capture my favorite moments of Musikfest, so enjoy!

Parenting Musikfest-style (notice our mugs, we pick one up every year and have quite the collection)
Spending time with our parents, families, and friends is the heart of the fun
Come hungry! This isn't your typical festival food.
Eat your way through Musikfest!
Meeting an ostrich and zip lining are part of a typical Tuesday night at Musikfest
Street performers-pterodactyls on stilts are one of many attractions roaming the extensive festival grounds
Music and dancing  



Jonas loved playing outside, trying new things, and living his own adventures
A giant game of Jenga and this pic of Jer were the perfect start to a week of festing


No comments:

Post a Comment