Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Cool Things to Get Into: 2017 Update

I have posted before about cool things I'm into but since my curiosity  is never satiated I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to enrich my life and imagination.  Depending on the day and the climate of my particular attitude, a long commute can be a great space of time to fill with stories, news, theories, and more. Because my commute is what it is, it allows me the time to devote myself to my favorite podcasts without getting in the way of my other interests and obligations.

So here it goes...some of my favorite suggestions for making your 2017 a little bit more fun.

What I'm listening to:


Podcasts:
The Loaded Couch: Fantastic variety show about beer, video games, TV, movies, and general hilarity with a great host dynamic. They have a consistent show format with regular weekly releases.

Limetown: There isn't enough I can say about this awesome series. It is a continuous mystery so you will have to start at the beginning but it is such a cool format. It takes shape through the perspective of a
journalist who will stop at nothing to find out where 300 people from a testing/research site called Limetown, have disappeared to. The closer she gets to the truth, the stranger and more dangerous the episodes become.

Forever Fallen-Doctor Who Short Trips: Besides the story being written by my good friend Josh Wanisko, it is also a great insight into the power and conflicts of our choices. It helps to be familiar with the Doctor Who universe but to listen to Josh's story, it certainly isn't necessary. I'm extremely proud of my friend's story and the positive acclaim it has received and am so happy to recommend it.

Myths and Legends: Folklore and myths from around the world are featured on this podcast. Obscure figures from Greek mythology, sinister origins of familiar fairy tales, and strange superstitions, make this a well
rounded and enjoyable show to listen to. Episodes tend to be in the 30-40 minute range so are perfect for the commute to and from work.

The NoSleep Podcast: Scary fiction at it's finest! This podcast is in the same vein as Wicked Library and Tales to Terrify which I have reviewed in a previous post. There are definitely stories that will make your heart race and your stomach flip. Leave the lights on!

YouTube: A Song of Ice and Fire Channels
My obsession with Westeros is only surpassed by my hunger to sink my teeth into any good analysis on the moving parts that drive the series. Some channels are devoted to the story and shedding light on the mysteries and unanswered questions the series leaves in it's wake.

Preston Jacobs: Great theory-crafter with intelligent reviews and insight into all things ASOIAF. My favorite videos include: Deeper Dorne, Prepping for Winter (analyzes released sample chapters by George R.R. Martin), and Littlefinger's Mistake.

The Last Harpy: Short dynamic analysis on all the theories that keep us obsessed fans awake at night. Great channel!

What I'm reading:



The Witcher Series: My amazing husband bought me the books that inspired one of his favorite games, The Witcher 3. We both tend to share similar interests so it's pretty easy and refreshing for us to recommend new things to each other. We never run out of things to talk about. The story is filled with all of the usual traits of the Fantasy Genre and yet stands alone in it's uniqueness and beauty.


What I'm playing: 


A Game of Thrones Living Card Game-Second Edition: This is a deckbuilding, faction based, strategic card game highlighting the military tactics, intrigue, and power struggles of the great Houses of Westeros (in the vein of Magic but VERY different). I got into the game during the First Edition and fell in love with it. It has a very competitive environment for play and I have been lucky enough to play against some of the best players in the Meta and attend some store championships and draft tournaments in the NYC area. I'm not very good and don't have the time to devote to improving that I wish I did, but I do love to play when I can.  It is a great time to get into the game for new players because to catch up with the current card pool you wouldn't have to back track too much. The core set and two House expansion sets are released and the monthly chapter packs are only in their second cycle. (Each cycle is themed and is defined by 6 chapter packs of 20 new cards @ 3x each.)

No comments:

Post a Comment